One of the Town's earliest official acts (in 1898) was to pass legislation to preserve our sylvan setting by protecting our trees and shrubs. In 1977, rather than being limited to replacing dying trees and shrubs with varieties permitted by the County, Garrett Park officially established itself as an Arboretum. Since then the Arboretum Committee has planted more than 400 trees and shrubs, many of rare and usual varieties, to maintain a canopy of shade trees and to provide color and botanical interest throughout the 4 seasons of the year.
The Garrett Park Arboretum Committee advises the Town Council on the management of all tree and perennial plantings in the Town rights-of-way and public spaces. Up to seven members serve for five years each and are appointed by the mayor. The Arboretum web site is hosted at LINK.
Keith Mayhew, Chair
Els Benjamin, Adjunct Member
Phil Normandy, Arborist
Phil Schulp, Council Liaison